Brown Deer is the older sister of Kaya'aton'my.
- Name: Brown Deer
- First Appearance: Meet Kaya
- Eetsa: Mother.
- Toe-ta: Father.
- Kaya'aton'my: Younger sister.
- Speaking Rain: Younger sister.
- Wing Feather and Sparrow: Twin younger brothers.
- Kalutsa: Paternal grandfather.
- Aalah: Paternal grandmother.
- Pi-lah-ka: Maternal grandfather
- Kautsa: Maternal grandmother.
- Tall Branch: Maternal aunt
- Cut Cheek: Husband
Brown Deer is old enough for courtship. Earlier in the series she's interested in a young, handsome man named Cut Cheek. Later, she marries him. Brown Deer is a hard worker and is always awarded leadership positions, just like her mother. She's considered to be pretty.
When Kaya felt she was going to lose her sister to marriage, Brown Deer kindly assured Kaya that they would always be sisters.
In the Books
Meet Kaya: An American Girl
Kaya's Escape: A Survival Story
Brown Deer helps the others with berry picking and when raiders invade, she grabs one of the twins as she ran into the woods for shelter.