- Molly McIntire
- Ricky McIntire
- Jill McIntire
- Brad McIntire
- Helen McIntire
- James McIntire
- Linda Rinaldi
- Susan Shapiro
Only in Changes for Molly
Chapter by Chapter Summary
Chapter One: Hurray For The U.S.A!
Molly and her friends Linda and Susan are waiting for the bus after their dance class. It is a cold, rainy March afternoon so they are waiting under the movie theater sign. They are talking about the Hurray for the U.S.A! show that their dance class is performing in. All the girls are going to try out for the part of Miss Victory, the soloist in their dance. Linda and Susan both agree that Molly will get it because she is the best dancer. There is only one problem, Molly’s hair is straight and it needs to be curly for the part of Miss Victory.
Chapter Two: A Hair-Raising Experience
Chapter Three: The New Molly
Chapter Four: The Show Must Go On
Looking Back: Changes For America
Discusses changes for America after World War Two. Topics include:
- How soldiers were welcomed after the war, and the belief that the world would be a better place because America won the war.
- What new things and replacements people could buy, including new appliances and televisions, which were new to Americans.
- Why women were told to give their jobs to returning soldiers, and what was considered a woman's "most important work."
- Why suburbs were created after the war, what were added to suburbs, and housing.
- What women and children wore for a trip to the city, and how fashions changed for women.
- How America helped people who lived in devastated areas in Europe.
- The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and how Americans prepared themselves for an atomic bomb attack.
- The formation of the United Nations (Or UN) in 1945.
Items associated with Changes for Molly
- Later combined into Molly's Winter Outfit
- Molly's Miss Victory Costume
- Molly's Winter Activities
- Molly's Curl Kit
- Plaid Suitcase
- Molly's Undies