- Samantha Parkington
- Gardner Edwards
- Cornelia Edwards
- Nellie O'Malley
- Bridget O'Malley
- Jenny O'Malley
Only in Changes for Samantha
Chapter by Chapter Summary
Chapter One: A New Home
Chapter Two: Searching for Nellie
Chapter Three: Coldrock House
Chapter Four: Runaways!
Chapter Five: Together
Looking Back: Changes for America in 1904
Discusses changes for turn of the century America. Topics include:
- The rising popularity of trains, airplanes, and automobiles at the turn of the century.
- Which kind of jobs newly arrived immigrants could get when they arrived, and how these new immigrants were able to find newer opportunities in America.
- How the education of women changed from Grandmary's day up to the 1900s, with many more women tackling jobs that were once held for men.
- Jane Addams, who founded a settlement house called Hull House, which helped new immigrants in Chicago learn English and trained them for work.
- The new appliances and technology that a common woman would have in her household, and why it was becoming harder for people to find new servants.
- How fashions were beginning to change for women, including the shortening of skirts and the discontinuation of corsets.
Items associated with Changes for Samantha
- Plaid Cape and Gaiters
- Elegant Hat and Muff
- Samantha's Ice Skates
- Samantha's Winter Amusements
- Victorian Valise