- "Gabriela" redirects here. For the doll, see Gabriela McBride (doll).
Gabriela McBride is the fifteenth Girl of the Year released by American Girl. She was released in 2017.
Gabriela lives in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
She has a stuttering problem, and is using spoken word poetry to help with the situation along with speech therapy. She dances tap, hip-hop, and ballet at her community center, Liberty Arts.
She loves poetry, and is very good at writing. She also becomes a member of the Student Council in Gabriela Speaks Out. Gabriela often tries to work hard and impress others, though she can be insecure about her stutter. She doesn't like backing down from her beliefs, and tries to speak from the heart.
She lives with her parents and her cousin Red, who is staying with them while his mom is overseas. Her best friend is Teagan, a computer coder, and she is also friends with Isaiah, a Shakespeare lover. She used to be antagonized by Aaliyah, but eventually befriended her by reaching out and telling her that she liked her confidence, and the two of them are co-councilors for the 6th grade at school.
- Gabriela by Teresa E. Harris
- Gabriela Speaks Out by Teresa E. Harris
- Gabriela: Time for Change by Varian Johnson
- Gabriela is the first Girl of the Year since Kailey Hopkins to explicitly say that the doll will be available past the end of the year the collection was initially released.
- Gabriela is the first Girl of the Year since Kanani Akina to not recieve a movie.
- Gabriela is the first Black Girl of the Year character, and was the first since Marisol Luna to not be of some partial or dominant white background (or at least half white).
- ↑ Gabriela, pg. 112: "Robert?" Mama said. "We weren't expecting all of you to come by."
"I know," Daddy said, sounding as excited as a kid himself.
- ↑ "Gabriela" page 80: "On June 23, 2017, the power failed..."
- ↑ "Gabriela: Time for Change" pg. 2 "but there would be another (spoken word competition) for middle school kids in five weeks..." Five weeks from October 7 is November 11.
|Girls of the Year|