Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Basic Book Facts
Each book was a stand-alone novel set in a time period and/or location generally not covered by any Historical Characters at the time, including times before the United States was founded as a country. The characters were generally older, ranging from ages ten to fourteen, and the books were marketed as for ages ten and up.
The cover shows the main character from a scene of the story. The first pages, instead of a half title page has a frontispiece; on verso is a quote from the story and on recto is a close-up from the cover illustration, focused on the main character's face. Past the title page, edition notice, dedication page, and table of contents is a two-page map titled "Character's World: Location in Year," bordered by something appropriate to the time and location. The map shows the places relevant to the story, with images of the locale.
At the beginning of each chapter is a small black-and-white sketch illustrated by Greg Dearth, designed to simulate a woodcut block and to help set the mood of the chapter. Books are written in third person limited; only the main character's thoughts and perceptions are seen.
Each book has a Looking Back section that, much like the Central Series, discusses details about the time and location and any significant events. If another language is used prominently, a glossary is included.
The series was published from 1999 to 2004 and later discontinued. The series can be seen as the precursor to the Historical Character Mysteries as many of the authors from this series went on to write for various Historical Series.
List of Books
- 1. The Smuggler's Treasure by Sarah Masters Buckey
- 2. Hoofbeats of Danger by Holly Hughes
- 3. The Night Flyers by Elizabeth McDavid Jones
- 4. Voices at Whisper Bend by Katherine Ayres
- 5. Secrets on 26th Street by Elizabeth McDavid Jones
- 6. Mystery of the Dark Tower by Evelyn Coleman
- 7. Trouble at Fort La Pointe by Kathleen Ernst
- 8. Under Copp's Hill by Katherine Ayres
- 9. Watcher in the Piney Woods by Elizabeth McDavid Jones
- 10. Shadows in the Glasshouse by Megan McDonald
- 11. The Minstrel's Melody by Eleanora E. Tate
- 12. Riddle of the Prairie Bride by Kathryn Reiss
- 13. Enemy in the Fort by Sarah Masters Buckey
- 14. Circle of Fire by Evelyn Coleman
- 15. Mystery on Skull Island by Elizabeth McDavid Jones
- 16. Whistler in the Dark by Kathleen Ernst
- 17. Mystery at Chilkoot Pass by Barbara Steiner
- 18. The Strange Case of Baby H by Kathryn Reiss
- 19. Danger at the Wild West Show by Alison Hart
- 20. Gangsters at the Grand Atlantic by Sarah Masters Buckey
- 21. Ghost Light on Graveyard Shoal by Elizabeth McDavid Jones
- 22. Betrayal at Cross Creek by Kathleen Ernst
- The alternate title for the series was Mysteries Through Time.