Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Jess Akiko McConnell was the fourth Girl of the Year released by the American Girl Doll company. She was released in 2006.
- Mother, Mom: Of Japanese descent. An archaeologist.
- Father, Dad: of Scottish-Irish descent. An archaeologist.
- Heather: Jess's older sister.
- Jason: Jess's older brother.
- Grandma Emi: Jess's maternal grandmother.
Facts and Personality
Jess Akiko McConnell is the ten-year-old daughter of two archaeologists from Michigan. Her father is of Irish and Scottish descent and her mother is of Japanese descent, although both sides of the family have lived in the USA for several generations. She is the "baby" of the family.
In her book, she goes to Belize on a dig with her parents. She is uninterested in the actual archaeological work, although she likes to learn about and imagine the lives of the Mayan people whose artifacts her parents are studying. Jess is in fourth grade--she is home schooled on the trip to Belize and was not expected to go. She sends her assignments to her teacher via a laptop. She studies the guitar and loves to play soccer. She initially spends the book making lists and journal entries about her time in Belize, but later is caught in an archaeological exploration.
Her best friend in Belize is a girl named Sarita Bol, who is of Mayan descent. She and Sarita take an eco-tour of Belize together, foster a baby parrot they name Pippi, and stumble on a historical treasure underground. Jess likes animals as well as playing soccer; in her book, she states that she may want to be a professional soccer player when she grows up.She also suggests being a professional snowboarder when she grows up. Jess is described as energetic and adventurous.
- Face Mold: Jess Mold
- Skin: Light
- Brows: Feathered
- Hair: Dark brown with red streaks
- Eyes: Dark brown
- Orange embroidered halter top
- Tie dye orange and pink skirt
- White underwear
- See: Jess's Collection
- Jess is the first explicitly biracial character, with a Japanese mother and Scotch-Irish father. She was followed by Kanani Akina.
- Jess was the first Girl of the Year to have an official middle name, followed by Chrissa Maxwell.
- As of 2016, Marisol Luna, Jess, Sonali Matthews, and Kanani Akina have been the only Girls of the Year of color.
- Jess was the first Girl of the Year to explicitly carry the label of "Girl of the Year."
- Jess was the first character whose story doesn't take place in the United States or a location that will later be part of the United States; Belize is in Central America.
References and Footnotes
|Girls of the Year|