- "Kanani" redirects here. For the doll, see Kanani Akina (doll).
Kanani Akina is the ninth Girl of the Year released by the American Girl Doll company. She was released in 2011.
Kanani is a ten-year-old girl living on Kaua'i, the geologically oldest island of Hawai'i. Her father, Mr. Akina, is of Japanese-Hawaiian descent while her mother, Mrs. Akina, is of French-German descent, making her multiracial. She helps her family run a popular shave ice shop and is passionate about helping people by sharing the Aloha spirit and protecting Hawaiian wildlife, such as the Hawaiian monk seal. She has a rooster named Jinx, a dog named Barksee, and a goat named Mochi.
Kanani has a cousin named Rachel who lives in New York. It is mentioned in the story that Kanani had not seen Rachel since they were six and eight years old, where the two of them met at a family reunion. After arriving in Hawaii, Rachel begins to feel homesick. As a result, Kanani tries to help her cousin Rachel feel like she is at home.
- See: Kanani Akina (doll)
- Blue tropical dress
- Faux hibiscus flower hair clip
- Faux kuku'i nut necklace
- Blue sandals
- See: Kanani's Collection
- Kanani is the second multiracial character, following Jess McConnell. Her father is Japanese and Hawai'ian, and her mother is French and German.
- As of 2017, Marisol Luna, Jess McConnell, Sonali Matthews, Kanani, and Gabriela McBride have been the only Girls of the Year of color.
- A Kanani-themed photo album was released at the same time of Kanani's debut, however it is not considered a part of Kanani's collection.
- Both of Kanani's books are written in third-person narrative instead of the usual first-person narrative.
|Girls of the Year|