- Kit Kittredge
- Jack Kittredge
- Margaret Kittredge
- Charles Kittredge
- Hendrick Frosbythe
- Stirling Howard
- Ruthie Smithens
- Miss Hart
- Miss Finney
Chapter by Chapter Summary
Chapter One: Rickrack
Chapter Two: The Bright Red Dress
Chapter Three: The Wicked Ogre
Chapter Four: Jewels
Looking Back: Christmas in 1934
Discusses the Christmas season during the Great Depression. Topics covered:
- Ways Americans found to celebrate Christmas during the Depression, despite the financial situations they faced and struggled with.
- Stories of families who were able to find Christmas trees, and the inexpensive ways they decorated their trees without the luxury of electric lights.
- The changes in Christmas wishes children gave to department store Santa Clauses, with many asking for their fathers to receive new jobs.
- Christmas gifts children from wealthier families might have received, and the toys that were popular amongst children during the 1930s.
- The gifts children might have received from their parents, including homemade toys and old toys that were either repaired or repainted.
- Requests various charities, churches, and public utilities received from families who were in need.
- The charities and citizens who worked hard to spread Christmas cheer to the unemployed and the needy in their communities.