Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Meet Caroline: An American Girl is the first book in the Caroline series. It was included with the Caroline doll when purchased until the release of BeForever and could be purchased separately; it is now part of Captain of the Ship.
- Caroline Abbott
- John Abbott
- Mama Abbott
- Lydia Livingston
- Oliver Livingston
- Hosea Barton
- Mr. Tate
- Seth Whittleslee
- Mr. Shaw
- Mrs. Shaw
- Lieutenant Melancthon Taylor Woolsey
Only in Meet Caroline
Chapter by Chapter Summary
Chapter One: A Fine Sloop
Chapter Two: Terrible News
Chapter Three: Lieutenant Woolsey
Chapter Four: Grandmother's Advice
Chapter Five: Attack!
Looking Back: America in 1812
Discusses the beginning of the War of 1812. Topics covered:
- Sackets Harbor's remote location from Philadelphia and New York, major cities of America at the time
- The necessity of ships for economic reasons, due to poor travel by land at the time
- Economic trade between America and Upper Canada, and Sackets Harbor and New York, Boston, Baltimore
- America's growth as an independent nation 30 years after the American Revolution
- Dischord between British and American political relations, with Americans wanting to expand north and the British wanting to keep claim of its Canadian colonies
- Impressment of American sailors by the British navy
- Trade restrictions between America and other countries
- American declaration of war against the British, in spite of opposition
- The slow pace of news about the war, surprising American sailors unaware of the declaration
- Elijah and Cyrus St. John, two brothers who were captured by the British navy
- The US navy's lack of power, with just the USS Oneida patrolling Lake Ontario, compared to the British navy
- Lake Ontario as a vital supply route along the Great Lakes
- The need for more warships to fight back against the British navy
Items associated with Meet Caroline
- Lieutenant Woolsey is an actual historical figure who was sent to the shores of Lake Ontario in 1808 to supervise the construction of the USS Oneida.
References and Footnotes
- ↑ Meet Caroline - and Her Home Town, sitesandstories.wordpress.com, accessed September 4, 2012.
- ↑ The majority of the fifth chapter coincides with the First Battle of Sacket's Harbor, which occurred on July 19, 1812.
- ↑ Commodore Melancthon Taylor Woolsey, US Navy, 1782-1832, history.nav.mil, accessed September 15, 2012.