- "Molly" redirects here. For the doll, see Molly McIntire (doll).
|Full name||Molly Jean McIntire|
|Born||April 22, 1934|
|Series location||Jefferson, Illinois|
|Series timeline||Fall 1943 to Summer 1946|
|First appearance||Meet Molly|
|Friends and Minor Characters|
Molly McIntire was one of the first three Historical Characters of the American Girl Dolls, representing the World War II Era. Molly was released in 1986 along with Samantha Parkington and Kirsten Larson.
In June 2013 American Girl announced that they would archive Molly's entire collection; she, Emily Bennett, and their collections were later archived in December 2013. Molly's books and the movie remain available for purchase.
Personality and Facts
Molly comes from a Scottish American family. She comes up with various plans to draw attention to herself through the series; several times these plans and ideas are either wholly unrealistic or fall through.
To Molly, World War II is mostly a distant inconvenience in her daily life; it is only when she is introduced to Emily Bennett that she sees that the war is truly affecting other people.
She is not very good at math (especially multiplication), hates turnips, and is afraid to swim underwater. She struggles with her looks later in the series, as she wants to look different with curls. She often believes her hair to be like straight sticks compared to her teacher Miss Campbell. She becomes set on being a "New Molly." Molly and her friends greatly admire their teacher, Miss Campbell, and love to think about her love life.
Molly is a great tap dancer. In the book, she was the best dancer in her class, even over Alison. In the movie, she struggles and copies Alison and later becomes the best in her class. She also enjoys camp songs.
Molly misses her father very much. Even though she loves her parents, she often finds it hard to get along with her siblings, often getting into disagreements. Molly also finds it hard to get along with Alison, and even Emily Bennett at one point in the story because of their differences. She can be mean, especially to Alison, and finds it hard to be nice to her. She always wants to be original, and is obsessed with glamour, especially from England. Molly finds it especially hard to be a follower, as was evident in Molly Saves the Day when she envied Dorinda for being the team captain.
Molly is a big schemer, often the ring leader when she and her friends make plans. Molly's mom calls her a "chatterbox," in comparison to Emily. She is prone to daydreaming and fanciful ideas.
American Girl characterizes her as "lively" and "loveable." On the original personality quiz, she is described as "feisty." Americangirlpublishing.com also characterizes her as "patriotic". American Girl e-cards describes her as "fun" and "cheerful."
Family and Friends
- James McIntire: Molly's father, Dad.
- Helen McIntire: Molly's mother, Mom.
- Jill McIntire: Molly's older sister.
- Ricky McIntire: Molly's older brother.
- Brad McIntire: Molly's younger brother.
- Grammy Culver: Molly's grandmother.
- Granpa Culver: Molly's grandfather.
- Eleanor Culver: Molly's aunt.
Friends and Other Minor Characters
- Mrs. Gilford: The McIntires' housekeeper.
- Charlotte Campbell: Molly's teacher.
- Alison Hargate: Molly's classmate.
- Linda Rinaldi: Molly's best friend.
- Susan Shapiro: Molly's best friend.
- Emily Bennett: Molly's English friend.
- Main article: Molly McIntire (doll)
- Molly is the first and so far the only doll to be marketed with glasses.
- Molly's book illustrations were redone three years after their release. There hasn't been any extreme changes since.
- Molly's address is listed as: 467 Oak Street, Jefferson, IL.
Molly McIntire *
|* Archived / ** Exclusive to BeForever|