Sarah Moore is the first and best friend of Addy Walker.
- Name: Sarah Moore
- First Appearance: Addy Learns a Lesson
Personality and Facts
Sarah is described as being of the same skin tone as Addy, with very short hair like a boy's. It is unsaid why Sarah's hair is short in the text, but it is likely that her hair is more kinky than Addy's and thus kept clipped short for ease. It it may also be to make working in a hot, stuffy environment easier, as often working class women kept their hair short.
Sarah and her mom are laundresses.
Sarah is very kind and friendly to Addy, making quick friends with her as soon as they meet. She is also very patient and was a good teacher to Addy when she first arrived in Philadelphia. Mrs. Ford finds Sarah to be loud and lively as she missed her presence in Changes for Addy. She is a little more cynical than Addy is, due to the fact her family has been in Philadelphia longer, and so Sarah has learned many of the lessons Addy must learn early in her arrival. Sarah is quite self-conscious, and does not think highly of herself. She is poorer than Addy is, and by the end of the series is forced to drop out of school at the age of ten to help her family make ends meet.
Family and Friends
- Mrs. Moore: Mother.
- Mr. Moore: Father. Only mentioned in passing as having a hard time finding work during Changes for Addy.
- Daniel: Cousin. Only seen in Addy's Little Brother
- Eva: Aunt. Only mentioned in Addy's Little Brother
- Addy Walker: Best friend.
- Harriet Davis: Sarah and Harriet do not get along.