Short Stories are little vignette stories for the Historical Characters. Most of these stories occur simultaneously during the events of the characters Central Series, though some happen before or after. Historical Characters following after Kaya's release never received short stories.
Several short stories were originally published in American Girl Magazine. Only a few pages long, each was accompanied with full-color illustrations and a small Meet the Author section. Some early ones had something akin to Looking Back sections—however, many of these focused on multiple time periods. The historical after details eventually began to be phased out in 1996.
Sometimes, they were replaced with American Girl Magazine Plays, excerpts from other books or historical stories, or reprints of previously published stories. The short stories were slowly transitioned out of the magazines around 1999 as the magazine shifted towards being independent from the Historical Characters and more focused on modern girls and their personal situations.
The following stories were published in the magazine under the titles:
- Felicity Takes a Dare (Mar/Apr 1993)
- Mother's New Baby (Jan/Feb 1994)
- Felicity's Dancing Shoes (Nov/Dec 1994)
- Mrs. Burnie's Secret (May/June 1996)
- Looking For Indians (Nov/Dec 1992 Premiere)
- A New Girl at Powderkeg School (May/Jun 1993)
- Snowbound (Mar/Apr 1994)
- Kirsten's New Teacher (Jan/Feb 1995)
- Promises (Sept/Oct 1995)
- The Youngest Brave (Jan/Feb 1997)
- Kirsten and the Thief (Mar/Apr 1998)
- A Most Exceptional Bridesmaid (Jan/Feb 1993)
- The Mystery of the Black Pearls (Nov/Dec 1993)
- The Beautiful Blue Bicycle (Mar/Apr 1995)
- Nellie's Gift (Nov/Dec 1995)
- A Very Special Talent (May/June 1999)
- Molly and the Movie Star (Nov/Dec 1992 Premiere)
- Molly Takes Flight (Jul/Aug 1993)
- No One Could Be Prouder (Jul/Aug 1994)
- Paws and Jaws (May/June 1995)
- Good Partners (Jan/Feb 1996)
While Josefina was released in 1998, she had no stories published in the magazine (though she had excerpts from her central series). Two of Kirsten's stories, Kirsten's New Teacher and Kirsten and the Thief, were never published outside of the magazines.
As Individual Books
Sometime after Kit's release, the short stories were released in individual, hardback book form yearly. The books were about five inches tall and four inches wide, with a character's personal color as the spine color. Each included illustrations, vignettes, and sometimes Looking Back sections that had accompanied the stories in the magazine; others had redone illustrations to reflect changes, including later released outfits. After-story crafts, recipes, and activities were also included both for stories that had been in the magazine. Kit's and Kaya's stories were brand new since they had not been around when the stories were published in the magazine; While Josefina's first story was published in 1999, it was not published in the magazines. Kirsten had two of her stories skipped, possibly to keep the number of stories among the characters to five at maximum.
The stories were also sold as box sets, combining the year's short stories into a six-book (with the addition of Kit and later Kaya, seven-book) set. Box sets were also sold in groups of three for Felicity, Josefina, Kirsten, Addy, Samantha, and Molly which contained the story books released from 1999 to 2001. The individual short stories were discontinued and phased out in late 2005, leaving Kaya with one story, Felicity with her previously published four (as she had been downplayed) and Kit with two.
Hallmark released versions of the short stories as well. Each copy had a small, attached ribbon bookmark emblazoned with the Hallmark logo and an ex libris page in the front. Otherwise, they were nearly identical with the standard published editions.
Short Story Series Sets
Series One - 1999
- Felicity's New Sister
- A Reward for Josefina
- Kirsten on the Trail
- High Hopes for Addy
- Samantha's Winter Party
- Molly Takes Flight
Series Two - 2000
- Felicity's Dancing Shoes
- Again, Josefina!
- Kirsten and the New Girl
- Addy's Little Brother
- Samantha Saves the Wedding
- Molly and the Movie Star
Series Three - 2001
- Felicity Takes a Dare
- Josefina's Song
- Kirsten Snowbound!
- Addy's Wedding Quilt
- Samantha and the Missing Pearls
- Molly Marches On
Series Four - 2002
- Felicity Discovers a Secret
- Just Josefina
- Kirsten and the Chippewa
- Addy Studies Freedom
- Samantha's Blue Bicycle
- Kit's Home Run
- Molly's A+ Partner
Series Five - 2003
- Kaya and the River Girl
- Thanks to Josefina
- Kirsten's Promise
- Addy's Summer Place
- Samantha's Special Talent
- Kit's Tree House
- Molly's Puppy Tale
Short Story Outfits
In 1999 and again in 2003, individual short stories were packaged with an outfit and hanging garment bag. Felicity did not receive a set in 2003 as she had been somewhat discontinued at the time; Kaya--who has never received additional historical outfits (all her new outfits have been modern Native outfits) was also excluded. The 2003 outfits were also released in a Stories and Outfits Collection for each character except Felicity.
- Felicity's New Sister: Felicity's Traveling Gown
- A Reward for Josefina: Josefina's Harvest Outfit
- Kirsten on the Trail: Kirsten's Checked Dress and Apron
- High Hopes for Addy: Striped Dress
- Samantha's Winter Party: Skating Party Dress
- Molly Takes Flight: Molly's Aviator Outfit
- Kaya and the River Girl: No new outfit
- Thanks to Josefina: Josefina's Weaving Outfit
- Kirsten's Promise: Plaid Dress and Shawl
- Addy's Summer Place: Cape Island Dress
- Samantha's Special Talent: Talent Show Dress
- Kit's Tree House: Kit's Tree House Outfit
- Molly's Puppy Tale: Molly's Victory Garden Dress
Short Story Collections
In 2006, the short stories for each character were bound into a single book of five short stories with a ribbon bookmark and a raised picture on the cover from one of the stories. While the Looking Back sections were kept and added for new stories, all the activities and the individual "Meet The Author" flashbacks were removed; only one overarching "Meet the Author" section was left.
In order for every character to have an equal five stories, new stories were added to Felicity's, Kit's and Kaya's collections. Felicity was given one new short story, Felicity's Valentine. Kit was given three - Kit's Winning Ways, Kit Uses Her Head, and Kit and Millie Ride Again. Kaya, having only had one in the collection previously, was given four new stories: Kaya and the Beavers, Kaya and the Flood, Kaya and the Grandmothers, and Kaya and the Injured Dog.
These were phased out in 2007.
Short Story Collection Books
- Kaya's Short Story Collection
- Felicity's Short Story Collection
- Josefina's Short Story Collection
- Kirsten's Short Story Collection
- Addy's Short Story Collection
- Samantha's Short Story Collection
- Kit's Short Story Collection
- Molly's Short Story Collection